Thursday, December 23, 2021

Swan Song (2021)



Director: Benjamin Cleary. Cast: Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris, Glenn Close, Awkwafina. 112 min. Sci-fi/Drama.

  • There's been a rise in android/clone/AI movies out there (showing how artists are freaking out about the concept), but this one is somewhat different from the others: a man afflicted by a terminal illness cannot accept the prospects of abandoning his family after death, and therefore unbeknownst to them, decides for them that he be replaced by his exact clone - starting the first of the movie's many moral dilemmas.
  • The moment he meets his clone, is a moment that strikes a chord. But the movie has numerous such moments: the opening sequence about the chocolate bar on the train, the manner in which Naomie Harris looks at the camera (us), the character interactions during the final scene. In every instance, I suddenly found myself lost in the moment, entirely relating to the events on screen, as though they were happening to me. I attribute this to the intelligence of first-time feature director (and screenwriter) Cleary, and the acting prowess of Mahershala Ali. 
  • Watch this with a group. You'll be discussing: Would I do this? Primarily ... would I have a clone replace me, so my loved ones wouldn't suffer after me? 


MoGo's rating: 8/10

Your rating: Enter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment